3 Ingredient Best Protein Coffee Recipe (Proffee)Posted: March 31, 2023
If you are looking for the best protein coffee recipe, then you are in the right place. Protein coffee, or proffee," is a trending coffee drink on social media, and for good reason. This coffee flavored protein drink has only 3 ingredients and tastes delicious.
Protein powder in my coffee? This recipe is perfect for those that don't love eating breakfast but want to get protein in. The good news is it's made with just a few ingredients and will provide you energy for hours.
What is Protein Coffee?
Protein coffee is a type of coffee drink where you add protein powder, typically in the form of whey protein powder or vegan protein powder.
This combination of of protein powder coffee is popular in the health and fitness community or anyone looking for an easy way to add extra protein into their day. It doesn't matter if you love hot drinks or like having cold coffee, this recipe works great either way. Plus it's a great caffeine boost!
Is Protein Coffee Healthy?
In terms of its nutritional profile, proffee can be a healthy option. The protein in this recipe is a great way to promote satiety, support muscle growth, and weight loss, which can be beneficial for those who exercise regularly.
It is important to note that ready-to-consume products on the market contain lots lots of artificial sweeteners and perseveratives. Even though this is okay in moderation or when you are in a pinch, it is best to avoid these when possible.
Therefore, it is important to choose a high-quality protein coffee product. You can also make your own at home like I'm about to share in the recipe card below.
Benefits of Proffee
- Convenient: This drink is an easy and convenient way to get enough protein, especially for those who have a busy morning or are on the go.
- Promotes muscle growth: The protein in coffee protein shake can help support muscle growth and repair, making it an excellent choice for athletes or anyone who exercises regularly.
- Increases satiety: Consuming protein can help keep you feeling full and satisfied, which may help curb cravings and prevent overeating.
- Versatile: This recipe can be made with a variety of protein powders and flavorings, making it an easy way for people with different tastes and dietary preferences.
- Increases energy: The blend of coffee and protein powder will give you sustained energy for hours.
Who should avoid protein coffee?
Protein coffee is generally safe for most people to consume in moderation. However, there are a few groups of people who may want to avoid or limit their intake of protein coffee, including:
- People with kidney disease: This drink can contain high levels of protein, which can put a strain on the kidneys. People with kidney disease may need to limit their protein intake to avoid further damage to their kidneys.
- People with lactose intolerance: Protein powders often contains whey protein, which is derived from milk. People who are lactose intolerant may experience digestive discomfort when consumed.
- People with caffeine sensitivity: Protein coffee typically contains caffeine, which can cause jitters, anxiety, and insomnia in people who are sensitive to it.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women: While moderate caffeine intake is generally considered safe for pregnant or breastfeeding women, it's best to consult with a healthcare provider before consuming protein coffee.
- People with certain medical conditions: Some medical conditions, such as heart disease, high blood pressure, or anxiety disorders, may be worsened by caffeine. It's best to consult with a healthcare provider before consuming.
The best protein powders to use
There are a lot of protein powders available and the best one is going to depend on your preference. If you are not lactose-intolerant or vegan, you can use a whey protein concentrate form. If you are vegan, you can use your favorite plant based one.
Here is a list of my personal favorites:
2. Garden of Life Organic Plant-Based Protein Powder
3. NOW Sports Pea Protein Powder
4. Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
5. Vega Sport Premium Protein Powder
6. Sunwarrior Warrior Blend Protein Powder
7. Klean Athlete Klean Isolate Protein Powder
It's important to choose a protein powder that fits your individual dietary needs and preferences. Look for a high-quality protein powder that's free of artificial ingredients, additives, and fillers. Additionally, consider the protein source, as different types of protein powders (whey, plant-based, collagen, etc.) have different amino acid profiles and may affect how this recipe tastes and feels.
Ingredients You'll Need to Make Proffee
- Brewed coffee. Cold brew coffee or hot coffee. You can use your regular coffee here.
- Protein powder. Chocolate protein powder, vanilla protein powder, collagen protein, etc.
- Milk. Use your preferred milk choice including almond milk, oat milk, soy milk, whole milk, or low fat milk.
- Ice. This step is optional.
How to make protein coffee
While there is no perfect way to make Proffee, the method of preparation is entirely up to personal preference. Some people prefer to use a blender to mix the ingredients, while others prefer to use a shaker bottle. Moreover, some may choose to add sweeteners or flavors, whereas others prefer the natural taste. Ultimately, the key is to experiment with different methods and ingredients to find the perfect recipe for you.
Blend your morning coffee with ready-to-drink protein shakes which contain up to 30 grams of protein per serving. This is the best way because the protein is already in liquid form. You can also find coffee protein drinks which can taste better. Finally, add ice.
- Make your morning coffee.
- In a separate cup, mix a serving of your protein powder into your milk using a frother. Blend until there are no more clumps.
- Pour your protein mixture over the coffee.
- Mix it well.
Common Questions About Proffee
Protein coffee can be a great option as long as it's consumed in moderation and as part of a balanced diet. The protein in protein coffee can help promote satiety and support muscle growth and repair. This can be beneficial for those who exercise regularly.
However, consuming excessive amounts of protein can be harmful to the body, particularly for those with kidney disease or other underlying health conditions. As such, it's important to talk to your doctor or a registered dietitian before adding any protein supplements to your diet.
Heating at temperatures up to 160-170°F (71-77°C) for a few minutes is unlikely to significantly affect protein content or quality. It is best to mix protein powder with cold or lukewarm liquids or add to foods that are not cooked at high temperatures.
Yes, instant coffee can be used for this recipe for protein coffee. Simply mix the desired amount of instant coffee with water, let it cool to room temperature, and then blend it with the protein powder and other ingredients according to the recipe.
You may also like:
- 5 Ingredient High Protein French Toast Recipe
- Collagen Protein Vs Whey Protein: Dietitian Explains the Difference
- 10 Best Protein Powders for Breastfeeding Moms in 2022 (Dietitian-Approved)
The Best Protein Coffee
- 1 cup brewed coffee cold brew coffee or hot coffee
- 1 cup milk
- 1 scoop protein powder
- Brew a cup of coffee using your preferred brewing method. Pour the coffee into a large mug.
- In a separate cup, add milk and a scoop of protein powder. Use either a frother or a blender to get rid of all clumps.
- Blend the mixture until it's smooth and frothy.
- Pour the protein mixture on top of the coffee in the mug. Mix well.
- Taste the mixture and add sweetener, if desired.
- Adjust the amount of protein powder or you can use ready made protein drinks instead of powder.
- You can make this drink either hot or add ice to make iced coffee.
- Add other ingredients such as cinnamon, vanilla extract, or cocoa powder for additional flavor.