Healthy Snickers Overnight Oats (With Yogurt)Posted: June 2, 2022
If you like overnight oats, this healthy Snickers overnight oats is going to be your new favorite. This is an easy and healthy peanut butter chocolate combination made with yogurt perfect for a high protein breakfast idea.
This post contains affiliate links. Affiliate link supports The Mom Nutritionist at no additional cost to you. I receive a commission if you choose to make a purchase through these links.
This tasty overnight oats recipe is perfect for those who love the classic combination of peanut butter and chocolate. Overnight oats are healthy, satisfying and a delicious way to start your day, and as a Registered Dietitian, I believe that healthy living and eating needs to be enjoyable whether your goal is weight loss or weight maintenance. Having said that, starting your day with some chocolate can help alleviate sugar cravings later in the day and help get the temptation out of your system which can lead to eating less throughout the day. All you need is a basic overnight oats recipe and you can add whatever toppings and layers in between to change up the flavor. This high-protein breakfast idea is filling and you can meal-prep up to 5 days ahead of time.
Ingredients to Make this Healthy Snickers Overnight Oats Recipe
- Use plain old fashioned rolled oats. Do not use quick oats because they will get too soggy when soaked overnight. Also do not use steel cut oats because they need to be cooked and will not soften enough. I personally like to use sprouted rolled oats for added health benefits like easier digestion, an increase in bioavailability of amino acids, B vitamins, and vitamin C.
- Use chia seeds to add protein. Adding chia seeds makes the consistency thicker and it adds a lot of healthy beneficial nutrients like fiber, omega-3, polyunsaturated fatty acids, and antioxidants. You can omit this step if you do not like the consistency or texture of chia seeds.
- Greek or vegan yogurt (optional). Even though this recipe is with yogurt, you can either add two tablespoons for added protein and creaminess, if you prefer. You can also omit this step or use vegan yogurt.
- Sweetener. Adding sweetener is optional. I prefer to use maple syrup but you can substitute with honey. You can omit this step but I find that the sweetness brings out all the flavors in overnight oats recipes.
- Peanut butter. Peanut butter is needed to bring out the Snickers flavor of these overnight oats. It is used to make the caramel topping and layers in between. Use an unsalted and unsweetened peanut butter as you will be adding chocolate and maple syrup into the recipe. I prefer 100% pure peanut butter without all the additives especially if you are looking to make these overnight oats recipe healthy.
How To Make Healthy Snickers Overnight Oats (With Yogurt)
- Start by chopping unsalted peanuts with a large knife.
- Next, combine rolled oats and chia seeds in a bowl or directly into the overnight oats container. I like to use these 12-ounce mason jars.
- Next add the Greek or vegan yogurt to the bowl.
- And then add the maple syrup, peanut butter, peanuts and milk to the bowl and mix the overnight oats together until well combined.
- Now you will make the caramel in a separate small bowl by combining peanut butter and maple syrup together.
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave at 15-second intervals until it is creamy and easy to pour.
- Now it’s time to alternate layers between the oats, caramel and chocolate. Fill up half the mason jar for the overnight oats with the oats mixture. Then, add a layer of caramel. Then add the last of the snickers overnight oats mixture and top with the remaining caramel and melted chocolate.
- Next, seal or cover with a lid, and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Common Questions About Overnight Oats
You can store them in a container for overnight oats such as a mason jar. They last in the fridge for up to 5 days which makes them ideal for meal planning and meal prepping.
Overnight oats are healthy but it can be a high-calorie food if you are not careful with portion sizes. Also calories can add up if you are using a lot of different ingredients. I recommend portioning out toppings for overnight oats like sweeteners and nut butters as this is where many will overindulge. Having said that, it is completely okay to indulge every once in a while but if you have a weight loss goal then it would be beneficial to use proper portion sizes.
Yes! Overnight oats can be a great choice for weight loss. Oats are rich in soluble fiber which helps fill you up naturally by combining with water in your gut to make a “sticky” mixture. Oats are full of fiber and by adding high protein options like chia seeds and yogurt, and fats like nut butter, this combination of nutrients can help with weight loss. Remember that the goal with weight loss is not to eat less food but to eat in a way that is satisfying and helps you reduce cravings. Learn how to build your meals for sustainable weight loss to help you lose weight without cutting out any of your favorite foods.
Getting the overnight oats ratio is important for making the best overnight oats recipe. After trying a lot of recipes, I found that 1 part oats + 1 part milk is the perfect combination to get the perfect consistency. This overnight oats ratio works well if you use up to a tablespoon of chia seeds. If you use more than a tablespoon, add an extra 1/2 cup of milk for every added tablespoon. Don’t be scared to add more milk if you don’t like your overnight oats too creamy or thick. Overnight oats recipe is a forgiving recipe so it is easy to try different ratios until you find something you like.
If you don’t like cold overnight oats, you can easily heat up overnight oats by microwaving the mason jar for 1-2 minutes. You can also heat it up over the stove in a pan until the overnight oats are heated through. Add some milk or water if the consistency is too thick. If you prefer your overnight oats warm, it is best to leave off the toppings until you are ready to eat.
You may also like:
- Why Long-Term Success on a Low Carb Diet Can Be Challenging for Women
- 15 Healthy Snacks For Moms On The Go
- 10 Natural Ways To Boost Energy
- How To Improve Gut Health For Weight Loss
Healthy Snickers Overnight Oats (With Yogurt)
- 1 mason jar
- 3 small bowls
For the snickers overnight night oats recipe
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped raw peanuts
For the caramel layer and topping
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter unsalted, unsweetened
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
For the chocolate topping
- 2 tablespoons dark chocolate chips
- Roughly chop the raw peanuts with a knife.
- Combine oats, chia seeds, milk, Greek yogurt and peanut butter and chopped raw peanuts in a bowl.
- Mix until well combined.
- Make the caramel by combining the peanut butter and maple syrup.
- Fill the mason jar with half the Snickers oats mixture and alternate with a caramel layer. Add the remaining Snickers oats mixture and the remaining caramel layer on top.
- Melt chocolate chips in the microwave in 15-second intervals.
- Add melted chocolate on top of the oats and caramel layers.
- Cover the mason jar or container with a lid or plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Uncover and enjoy from the glass container the next day. Thin with a little milk or water if desired.
- If you do not have milk, you can use water to make this Snickers overnight oats recipe. Keep all other ingredients the same.
- You can omit chia seeds if you do not have any or if you don’t like the texture of chia seeds.
- It is preferable to use 100% natural peanut butter, unsweetened and unsalted. This will help to reduce the amount of additives in the recipe.
- You can replace the maple syrup with honey or omit all together.
- Store up to 5 days in the fridge. This is an easy and delicious high-protein breakfast idea that you can meal prep for the week.