High Fiber Smoothie Recipes for Weight Loss (Dietitian Approved)Posted: August 31, 2022
This high fiber smoothie is tasty, filling, delicious and dietitian approved. This easy recipe is packed with healthy fats like chia seeds, fresh fruits like berries and bananas, and protein like Greek yogurt. This smoothie is a great way to stay on track of your weight loss goals. It has zero grams of added sugar and is still naturally sweet and a great way to start your day!
This post contains affiliate links. Affiliate link supports The Mom Nutritionist at no additional cost to you. I receive a commission if you choose to make a purchase through these links.
As a weight loss dietitian, I understand wanting to find ways to make weight loss a little simpler, and morning smoothies is one of those ways. However, one of the biggest mistakes I see with those who are on a weight loss journey is that they add too many ingredients, (yes, this applies to green smoothies as well), which can get in the way of their weight loss goals. It's important to remember those ingredients have calories and those calories do add up.
The 'secret' formula to building a weight loss smoothie is balancing it right.
You need to be adding in the right nutrients so they can work together optimally to give you the best results. The great part is you don’t need to count calories when you are looking to lose weight when you learn to balance your meals. This is because different nutrients digest differently and provide the body with different amounts of calories per gram.
For example, fiber is a type of carbohydrate that the body can't digest. Though most carbohydrates are broken down into sugar molecules called glucose, fiber cannot be broken down into sugar molecules, and instead it passes through the body undigested. So even though carbohydrates provide the body with 4 calories per gram, fiber provides the body with 0 calories.
Here is the basic weight loss formula you need to know when building your meals:
Fiber + Healthy Fats + Protein + Plants
This is it!
If you learn to build your meals around this formula, you will find that weight loss becomes easier. When you balance your meals this way, you are ADDING in foods rather than eliminating and you will find yourself feeling full and satiated when you do this.
Why you’ll love this high fiber smoothie
- Contains fiber, healthy fats and protein. One of the main reasons this high fiber smoothie recipe is perfect for weight loss is because it is balanced with fiber, healthy fats, protein and plants. Adding these three macronutrients together in your meals and snacks helps balance blood sugar levels, keeps you feeling full for longer and provides your body with nutrients and energy that it needs to function properly.
- Easy and quick. One of the easiest and quickest meals to make is a smoothie. All you have to do is add in all the ingredients to a high-speed blender and you’re done! It is also a great way to switch up the flavor profile while still keeping it healthy.
- Improves digestive health. Smoothies are great for digestive health, especially when you are adding different kinds of fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds. These kinds of foods are filled with fiber which help improve your gut health. If you want to learn why gut health is important for weight loss, make sure to read this article: How To Improve Gut Health For Weight Loss
- Great for weight loss. Weight loss smoothie recipes are an easy way to stay consistent with your goals. This is because it is easy to make and can be a meal replacement when you add in the three macronutrients and is best for busy mornings!
- High in protein. This smoothie has 18 g protein, 22 g fiber, and 20 g fat which provide you with long lasting energy.
How to Build a Weight Loss Smoothie
- Protein. Adding in protein powder or other sources of protein like plain Greek yogurt and hemp seeds are a must when it comes to creating a weight loss smoothie. Aiming to consume at least 20-25 grams of protein at each of your meals and snacks is important when your goal is weight loss (or even weight maintenance). Studies show that including protein at every meal helps keep you full for longer periods of time because protein digests slower and it activates satiety hormone release which means you feel full earlier. Protein is also important during weight loss because it preserves muscle mass during periods of caloric restriction.
- Healthy fats. Adding in healthy fats into your meals are important when it comes to a healthy diet because fats provide energy, support cell growth, protect organs, and keep your body warm. Eating healthy fats is also necessary for the absorption of vitamins like vitamins A, D, E, and K and helps with hormone production. Adding in a serving size of healthy fats in your smoothie looks like adding a tablespoon of chia seeds, ½ avocado, or nut butters like peanut butter or almond butter.
- Fiber. You need lots of fiber sources if you are making a high fiber smoothie. This can be adding nuts and seeds, high fiber fruits like berries, vegetables like a small cucumber and spinach. Adding in more vegetables into the smoothie adds volume to the smoothie. This increases satiety since you can eat so much more without adding extra calories. Aim for at least 6 grams of fiber at every meal.
- Low in added sugars. I recommend being careful of how many different sweeteners you’re adding to the smoothie. If you are adding a banana and other fruits then it may be best to avoid adding in extra sugars like honey or maple syrup. Many people worry about adding bananas into their smoothies, but rest assured, bananas are a delicious way to add sweetness naturally and they add sustenance to the smoothie.
Make sure to check out this article that goes into more detail about how to build your meals for sustainable weight loss.
Ingredients You'll Need
- Liquid of choice: coconut water, unsweetened almond milk, soy, oat, and dairy all work great for this smoothie.
- Frozen Banana: if you don’t like bananas, frozen zucchini is a great alternative for making a creamy smoothie.
- Blackberries: I prefer using frozen fruit but fresh fruit works just as good! Also, feel free to use whatever berries you have on hand!
- Chia seeds: Chia seeds are rich in minerals, omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, and fiber. They provide about 5 g of fiber per tablespoon!
- Cucumber: Adding a small cucumber is a great way to add in vegetables without changing the taste of the smoothie.
- Squeeze of Lemon Juice: The vitamin C from the lemon is a great addition because it increases the absorbability of the iron found in spinach.
- Handful Spinach: spinach is a great way to add volume without changing the taste of the smoothie while still adding in extra nutrients. I always add in a huge handful of fresh spinach (or even frozen spinach) for a boost of nutrition.
- Avocado: avocados are a great source of fiber and healthy fats. They also add creaminess to the smoothie.
- Greek yogurt: Use plain Greek yogurt because it does not contain any added sugars and has more protein per serving than regular yogurt.
How to Make This High Fiber Smoothie
- Add all the ingredients into a high-speed blender.
- Blend on high for 60-120 seconds.
- Taste: add milk or whatever liquid you are using if the smoothie is too thick, or add sweetener, like an extra date, if you prefer a sweeter smoothie.
- Enjoy immediately or store in the fridge for 24 hrs.
Tips and Tricks for Smoothies
- To make smoothie thicker: add ice, frozen fruit or frozen yogurt.
- To make smoothie thinner: add small amounts of water, juice, or milk.
- To sweeten smoothie: use watermelon instead of water, or add honey, maple syrup or dates (be careful of adding too many sweeteners if you are trying to lose weight).
- To make smoothie less sweet: add squeeze of lemon juice or substitute a frozen zucchini in place of a frozen banana.
- If you have spinach or kale in your fridge that needs to be used, add them to your smoothies or freeze them for later use.
- Choose one day where you go to the grocery store and stock up on all the ingredients.
- Bag fruit per portion to make the process faster and make an even quicker breakfast smoothie.
- Reduce or eliminate ice cubes if using frozen fruit.
- Keep stash of frozen fruit.
- You can freeze this smoothie into a popsicle for a hot summer day!
There is nothing wrong with wanting a simple fruit smoothie like a banana smoothie or other fruit smoothies, and I believe that all foods fit. However, if you are looking to make a healthy smoothie recipe as a meal replacement, then you need to increase the protein content to keep you full.
Making a creamy smoothie is the best way to enjoy a quick breakfast first thing in the morning. They are loaded with vitamins like vitamin K, Vitamin C and iron. Also once you find your favorite recipes, you can easily whip up a healthy breakfast smoothie in less than 5 minutes especially when you prep it ahead of time.
If your goal is weight loss, then making sure there is enough protein, dietary fiber and healthy fats is a great way to use a smoothie as a meal replacement. This recipe is also considered a high protein smoothie and is great for your immune system.
Common Questions About Weight Loss Smoothies
If you are using the whole fruits, seeds and leafy greens, then the smoothie will contain fiber as those food groups are high in fiber.
If you are on a weight loss journey, then avoid adding fruit juice since that contains a substantial amount of sugar. If you do not want to use water, you can use low fat milk which is a good way to add more protein, or you can use any of your favorite dairy-free milk choices.
I highly recommend adding protein to smoothies to keep you full and satisfied for longer. Also adding protein to your meals helps alleviate sugar cravings throughout the day.
Smoothies can be a great choice for weight loss, especially when adding high-fiber foods, protein, healthy fats and various kinds of vegetables like spinach and cucumbers.
Yes, you can replace meals with smoothies when you add in different nutrients like healthy fats, protein, and fiber. Also some smoothies contain as many calories as a regular meal.
You may also like:
- High Protein High Fiber Smoothie
- Healthy Overnight Oats Recipe for Weight Loss (Easy)
- Healthy Morning Routine For Weight Loss
- Build Your Meals For Sustainable Weight Loss
Low Carb Smoothie Recipe for Weight Loss
- High-Speed Blender
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 zucchini frozen
- 1 cup blackberries frozen or fresh
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 mini cucumber
- ½ lemon squeezed
- 1 handful spinach
- ½ avocado
- ½ cup Greek yogurt plain
- Place all the ingredients together in a high-speed blender.
- Blend for 1-2 minutes until all the ingredients are combined and smooth.
- Taste the smoothie. If the mixture is too thin add ice and more milk if the mixture is too thick. Feel free to add a sweetener of choice if it’s not sweet enough.
- Pour smoothie into a cup and enjoy immediately. You may store the smoothie in the fridge for up to 24 hours.